Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What's so Great about March?

Answer: Woodcock mating behavior. Years ago I was so bored with winter, attended an unusual program offered by the Cincinnati Nature Center, and learned how and when to watch for these gamebirds in the early spring. Although I'm a little fuzzy on my timeline, I believe we had recently purchased our property, We couldn't wait for spring to come again so we could watch for woodcock activity out in Clarksville. The wait was well worth it, as we listened for the characteristic 'peent' and spiral descents. The first year there were so many woodcock, that the event was somewhat like fireworks. Since then our woodcock sightings have been more akin to solitary occurrences, perhaps due to loss of habitat with the final home building and introduction of lawns and dogs.

This year has not been disappointing. I had been talking with our neighbors, Todd and Nancy, about the diminishing wild birds, and was delighted that evening when I put up the hens. I do this at dusk, which is prime woodcock time. I heard the familiar call that accompanies the circular dance on the ground, and narrowed it down to the hedgerow between Todd's pasture and field. Good news.

For interesting photos of woodcock, please visit the following website (just click on it):
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=woodcock+photos&qpvt=woodcock+photos&FORM=IGRE

In addition to woodcock song, we also have the chorus of toad trill and spring peepers.  We're now greeted with songs of the Red Winged Blackbirds when we step outside. I love the raucous celebration of spring mating. Unfortunately, we are entering one of the worst mud seasons ever. That has prompted me to move downstairs to the basement in the afternoon, where the unheated but thermally protected space is now conducive to spending time in my 'art studio'. I couldn't possibly have spent time down there the last three months, when I cocooned upstairs in front of the fireplace with my knitting and crocheting. I've finished a painting inspired by Susie, which looks really wild when I photographed it. All the wet paint is reflecting back, and I did apply a few touch ups after taking this photo, but did want to share with my sisters. Ann and Davey are taking art lessons in The Villages, and enjoying it as much as I am. There's nothing better than finishing up one's morning chores, heading down the basement, cranking up the music, and getting totally lost in a painting for a few hours.


"Peaceful Picnic"
 After planning and hosting a shower for Susie's best friend,
Susie visited Camp Colegate for a day of relaxation and communing with nature.


No comments:

Post a Comment