Saturday, March 19, 2011

So Good to be Painting Again

It has been so wet here at Camp Colegate. Bruce and I went out after work Thursday and cut our decorative grass, but we made more of a mud fest than we improved the looks of our landscape. This is why the painting has been so therapeutic. I actually rush through my morning chores, to give me unlimited time in my 'studio' in the afternoon. Hardly anything bests heading downstairs to pull out the paints and crank up the classics. I am amazed with how absorbed I become in the painting.  I'm also surrounded by two of my paintings I did as a teen. I only wish I had not thrown out my still life and landscape. It would have been fun to compare. I also have Julia's award winning water color and Valerie's leaf study on the wall nearby.

I dabbled in oil painting in junior or senior high. My sister Annie had bought a nice wooden paintbox that she used, and like her golf clubs (I still have those), she graciously handed them down to me as she became busier as a young adult. Sometimes I wonder what would have become of me had I not had the advantage of spending time in our Forest Glen basement, painting and listening to music. I only wish every teen had that oppportunity. When Ann and Davey married, the paintbox joined their partnership. I believe Davey picked up painting then, and thank goodness, they kept them despite their move to Michigan and back to Ohio. A few years ago I asked Ann if she still had the paintobox, thinking not. But she did, and delivered it to Ohio from Florida a few years ago.  Just being able to handle the wooden box was like having an old friend back. I am so thankful that Ann repacked that paint box as many times as she did. That paintbox will make another journey in about three years, heading down to the Piedmont. Ann and Davey are painting again at workshops at The Villages. I hope she doesn't ask for me to return the travelling paintbox.

My most recent paintings have been more of a personal experience that I wanted to share with others, and not necessarily the best composition. I was sorting through my inspirational photos, and decided to paint a landscape with good composition. When we move South, we would love to pick up all five acres of Camp Colegate and plunk them down South. Talk about 'move in ready.' Unfortunately, that is impossible, so I am painting as much of Camp Colegate as I possibly can.


Sunrise at Camp Colegate
Laying down the initial color, with reference photo at the bottom


Sunrise at Camp Colegate
Bet I add some finishing touches late this afternoon


No comments:

Post a Comment