Saturday, January 8, 2011

Post Holiday Activities

Holidays are hectic, but I am always grateful for the opportunity to see family and friends. My sister, Annie, was in Ohio for nearly two weeks, visiting her daughters. We were able to get the sisters together here at Camp Colegate for brunch. Annie's daughter, Clarie, joined us, too. We had a Camp Colegate brunch, roasted butternut squash (homegrown) soup, steamed broccoli (thank you, Krogers), and sour cherry (homegrown, love that freezer) sauce on French yogurt lemon cakes shaped like birds nest (Williams Sonoma - sp?) with whipped cream. Although the snow was melting outside, we were still able to gaze out the windows at a snowy winterscape. Camp Colegate worked its wonderful relaxing, peaceful magic. Perfect for after the holidays.

Sara, Susie, Annie
Annie, Clarie





















I've made a mad rush on the crochet projects, finishing hats for the boys down South, a scarf to go with AKs hat and sweater for her, and now I'm taking a slight break. I'm working on some new projects, probably for me, which will stretch my ability to interpret and utilize new patterns. My friend, Peggy, tooke me to two yarn shops in Cincinnati which were so inspirational. I was dazzled by all the different yarns and garments that were on display. Ann has graciously mailed Mother's old knitting/crochet supplies to me, which I can't wait to receive. I often think of her, as I pass the long hours of winter creating something.

   
We had a great snowfall in December, followed by freezing temperatures and periodic snow. I was able to cross country ski for days on end. We have frozen ground now which offers the opportunity to walk around without sinking into the mud. We have really wet ground here. The hens did not care for the snow at all, but don't seem to mind the cold. It's fun, watching them respond to changes in their routine. The native birds have been working on the pyracantha berries, and enjoy the suet ithat Bruce replaces in the birch tree.




No comments:

Post a Comment