Wednesday, October 27, 2010

What Shall I Write About Today?

I often develop a blog the day before I post it. This way I can think about it, edit, and add to my blog before I publish. This morning I was wondering what I might publish the next day. Oh, and I don't post at any early morning time, although I've seen some weird times of 5:22, etc. No way. I am usually posting around 9 AM. That looks like something else I can figure out with this blogging experience.

As I went out today to take care of my Camp Colegate chores, I wondered what I might be writing for my next blog. Since I was heading out to feed the hens, I thought about them as a topic, but for some reason, I keep putting off that topic. Perhaps I'm thinking that I won't get much more opportunity outdoors, and I feel the need to focus on this beautiful fall. After I took care of them, I checked on my Cold Frame Garden, and was devastated. There was nothing there under the trellis. How could that be? I had shown Bruce the garden on Sunday afternoon, so he could appreciate the crunchy lettuce and radishes he was going to enjoy in a few weeks. Here on Tuesday morning, the bed was totally empty of vegetation. Had they simply dried up with all the wind we've had? Had crows or other birds been able to poke between the lattice and enjoy the seedlings? I gave the bed a token watering, and with regret, will check on it later.

I then decided to do some rounding on my own, since I've kept this to a minimum with my allergies. As I walked up to the pond, I saw something shiny on the Turtle Log. Then I heard a loud splash and the log was clear. Interesting. I didn't think we'd have a turtle sunning this late in the season. I certainly hadn't seen this for a few weeks. Even though we've had warm weather, Bruce and I both thought that the pond critters had been working their way into the mud for the winter.

Anna Kate and her Cousin Natalie in front of the Turtle Log at Bonfire 2010
 I headed down the Hedgerow Trail to the corner of woods in the back. The wind reminded me of being at the beach, particularly when the wind was working its way through the huge oaks on the Hedgerow Trail. As I entered the woods area, I was suprised with how many limbs were swaying in the wind. The kayaks that we store upright in the woods were nice and tight and not moving at all. I wondered about that hornets nest. I hadn't looked to see if my neighbor Marsha and I walk directly under it when we do our rounds of Camp Colegate. What a surprise. We had been walking directly under it all summer. Very interesting.


Kayaks Waiting in the Woods

I then walked toward my Meditation Platform on the Cedar Loop. Since bad weather was forecast for the afternoon, I thought it would be a good idea to take a few minutes out of day and mediate. Bad idea. Could not clear my head at all. I routinely assume a sitting position and focus on my breathing. That worked for about 5 to 10 seconds, and then thoughts on all my projects for the day kept rushing into my head. I could not keep them out. This is a usual challenge for me, although I've been slightly improving on this - not today.

Then I decided to check out my bayberry shrubs. I could still hear and see my warblers in action, but they have been busy and have pretty much decimated their berry crop for the season. What a delight to have been able to observe them in action.

So, there you have it. Just when I think there isn't much to write about, all I have to do is make my rounds. I am always delighted with the happenings here at Camp Colegate. When we move down South, I definitely have to live where I can round and ramble. I'm going to have to save and turn off the computer. We're 20 minutes away from a dangerous storm heading our way. I'm watching the Artimis Camera video over the news. The storm is hitting downtown Cincinnati right now, and it is awesome. I need to protect my computers. Hope we keep our power.

Addendum: I was keeping in touch with sister Susie in Columbus before and during the storm. We had both staged our basement areas for a possible siege. So Hank and Ruth. Those genes resurface all the time. We survived the storm just fine. It was beautiful. When I checked the hens in the evening, they were wet. Not enough sense to come in from the rain.

1 comment: