Monday, October 25, 2010

Grace

When we first moved to Camp Colegate, I felt we needed a pair of cats to perform mousing duty in the country. I can't recall specifically how many pairs a good friend, Barb Bowman, donated to our cause, but I believe Grace and George were the third. We had a lot of attrition through vehicular accidents, and who knows, wandering off, coyote feasts, etc. This pair was originally named by Bruce in memory of George and Gracie Allen, but eventually George left our company, but Grace persevered. We believe she's been with us at least ten years.

My family was surprised that I brought cats into our life. I have fairly strong allergies, which include cats. Grace is invited into our sunroom in the morning, where she can sleep in peace. I find that this is a nice compromise for both of us. Sometimes I can sit out there with her, sometimes not. Since we have never had her declawed, regal outdoor cat that she is, we can't have her inside the house. There have been times that she has escaped, and she makes a quick shot to the guest bedroom in the back of the house, where she positions herself on top of the pillows in front of the windows. Other than that, she spends her hours outdoors, and sleeps in a sheltered, protected, and heated area of the garage.

Grace no longer bears the identify of a fabulous comedienne, but rather a royal princess. She has some of the best coloring I have ever seen, and has the speed and agility of a jaguar. Sometimes she assumes the personality of a faithful family dog, accompanying us on our ramblings over Camp Colegate. She'll walk behind us, then suddently race in front of us, scurrying up any nearby tree. When we were both working and returning home in the late afternoon, I might often find her sitting patiently at the junction of our drive and lane, waiting expectantly for our return. Unlike most outdoor cats, Grace does not disappear when company arrives. She lies peacefully while our grandchildren play with her. I find this quite unusual, especially for an older cat.
Anna Kate with Grace



Grace on her throne on the sunporch

No comments:

Post a Comment