Thursday, October 21, 2010

Bonfire 2010

What a lovely way to begin my Camp Colegate Chronicles. My Dad  introduced us to his family tradition of a fall ‘weinie bake’ back in the late eighties. Our family has been bonfiring ever since. Bonfire BC, before grandchildren, was very slow-paced, reflective, and tranquil.  We had several  locations,  including Camp Kern, before we settled in permanently on the five acres of Camp Colegate, our current residence. Bruce and I enjoy five acres with a pond, garden, chicken coop, and camping area.  The first few years were held in the field in the back, but as the field returned to forest, we now have Bonfire AC, after grandchildren. Bonfire now includes exploring all the trails, fishing in the pond,  collecting the hens’ eggs, playing Red Rover,  and teaching fire skills and safety.  It is loud, raucous, and very busy.





This year we were blessed with perfect fall weather. Every family makes their best effort to save this weekend, which my daughters from Georgia and South Carolina take turns choosing. We usually bonfire the second or third weekend in October, which offers the choice weather and fall color change.  Families have comes from as far as Wisconsin, Florida, and the Piedmont. We always remember our Dad, Hank Jones, who started this tradition. He was the most extraordinary ordinary man, and we were so fortunate to have known and loved him.

Our family bonfires to come together in a unique setting. We celebrate what happens to be my favorite season of the year, which also happens to be the season I met Bruce. Although we now work around scheduled school vacations and sports events, it is a time of less activity and more free time. My sisters totally commit to this event, and our children also make that special effort to attend. It is such great fun watching the little ones interact, or as they mature, as with the oldest grandchild, Katie, engage in conversations with the adults. This year, it was such a treat to watch my Anna Kate moving down the trails with Natalie, a year older; their bodies nearly joined together, heads tilted in toward each other as they discuss the possible scenarios of their imaginary games.

3 comments:

  1. What a neat family tradition! I enjoyed reading your blog this morning and look forward to more posts in the future! Thanks for following mine- it's always nice to "meet" a fellow crocheting, gardening lady.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Katie. I'm finishing up a darling cricheted crazy hat for my daughter in SC, then driving on to my other daughter's outside Atlanta. I'm heading out on Thursday. I'll post a blog on the hat, once I get a photo of Anna Kate wearing it. I was a little rusty on my stitches, but it's coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all I just ditched those baggy corduroys! And have invited some of my friends to view your blog. I also encourage you to show some of your art work on your blog. Your basement nook that could be called, let's see,
    Sara's Cave- outfitted with mementos and your comfort items and ART STUDIO.

    ReplyDelete