Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Exploring at Camp Colegate

We know that in a few years we'll be leaving Ohio and moving South to be closer to our girls. If we had our choice, we would pick up Camp Colegate and drop it next door to one of our daughters. Hmmmmm, that sounds very unlikely. For now, I'm making a mental note of all the aspects of Camp Colegate that we love, and perhaps we can incorporate some of those into our next place.

One of the most rewarding opportunities that Camp Colegate provides is discovering through exploration. We have a perimeter trail that I use for exercise, bonding with Grace, and learning. I don't think that there is a day that goes by without a new discovery. Over the years I have realized how important this is to me. When we lived in Landen, I was able to walk the bike trails. One year, after reading Mary Blocksma's Naming Nature, I started a journal on what I learned from my walks. I not only learned to name trees, flowers, and birds, but also learned that there was great diversity, even in a suburban setting. My twenty minute walk took me through three different habitats, big woods, streamside, and meadow. I learned so much that year.

Even though I now have a basic knowledge of nature, there is always something new, changing, or curious. I don't need to go elsewhere for stimulation, as everything I need to challenge me is right here. I had been spending my afternoons outdoors sketching, until my allergy status deteriorated. I promised Bruce that I would stay indoors and avoid any unnecessary encounters. Yesterday afternoon, we couldn't resist rounding, with this lovely, dry temperate weather we've been experiencing. We had walked to the pond in the front and were finishing our walk to the back and the bonfire area, when Bruce stopped me and pointed to a hornets' next in high in the maple tree by the grands' climbing tree. I was stunned. We had never been able to see it with all the full leaf canopy,

In Naming Nature, Mary Blocksma references hornets, but does not elbaorate. I found the following web page helpful: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2077.html. I know that my next residence must allow opportunities to get out and walk and observe nature, so good hiking trails or quiet streets.

Hornets' nest in middle of photo

Grands' play area in lower left, next in upper right

Closeup from underneath nest

No comments:

Post a Comment