Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day of 'Git R Done'

Last week I was very disappointed in self, that I had not accomplished my winter chores. Surely, with the weather as miserable as it has been, I have had ample opportunity to be productive. So I printed weekly planners from my computer, and began to lay out my agenda. Part of my dilemma is that I am selective about performing the appropriate chores, dependent on the appropriate weather. I mapped out the forecast for the week (cold, chance of rain, sleet, snow), and began to pencil in the chores and dinner menus. One of my many goals is to work through our freezer to provide more room for extra garden produce. This only makes sense, as I had already worked through my menu of winter recipe favorites (need to cook all day, require greater than usual preparation, or utilize the oven). End result, success. My chores are getting crossed off the list, and my freezer is providing delicious meals and gaining space.

So yesterday I prepared breakfast, reviewed my email, then headed out to the hens with a window of opportunity of frozen ground to shovel the soiled shavings from the hen house and replace them with fresh. With all the rain, the ground surrounding the hens is incredibly swampy. Somehow, we managed to site the structure on high ground. Amazing stroke of luck. Then I containerized their food for the week, not entirely pleasant working in the garden shed with temps hovering around freezing.

Back inside the house, I cleaned all the bathrooms, almost calling it a day, but decided to get a headstart on one of those last winter chores. That would be scrubbing the cabinets, and surprise, before I knew it, I was done. After a quick lunch (beef and homemade noodles) from the freezer, I tucked a garbage bag in my pocket, walked over to Susan Case's to deliver eggs, get my walking in, and picked up trash along the highway on the way home. I finished up checking Mike and Marsha's, the snowdrops out back (in a state of limbo), then treated myself to an afternoon of painting in the basement. What a great feeling, to have only one winter chore left (taking the office apart to clean the desk and shutters). And how gratifying to spend the rest of the afternoon painting. I listen to NPR radio or beautiful music while I enjoy my artiwork. Annie, you suggested that I take a photo of my 'studio', so here it is:


No comments:

Post a Comment